Copyright (C) 1992, 1997 by Christopher Romig Keener
Abegglen, James C.; Stalk, George, Jr.
- 1958 The Japanese factory: aspects of its social organization.
Glencoe, IL: Free Press.
- 1985 Kaisha: the Japanese corporation: how marketing, money,
and manpower strategy, not management style manke Japanese world
pace-setters. New York: Basic Books.
Akazawa, Takeru; Aikens, C. Melvin (ed)
- 1986 Prehistoric hunter-gatherers in Japan: new research methods.
Tokyo: University of Tokyo Press.
- 1972 "The extreme northern area of rice cultivation."
In R.L. Singh (ed), Rural settlements in monsoon Asia,
pp. 65-72. Varanasi: National Geographic Society of India.
Beardsley, Richard K.; Hall, John W.; Ward, Robert E.
- 1969 Village Japan. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1982 The modern history of Japan. third revised edition.
Rutland, VT: Charles E. Tuttle.
- 1971 Japan: an anthropological introduction. New York:
Harper and Row.
- 1959 Patterns of culture. Boston: Houghton Mifflin. (first
- 1974 The chrysanthemum and the sword: patterns of Japanese
culture. New York: New American Library. (first edition 1946.)
Bestor, Theodore C.
- 1989 Neighborhood Tokyo. Stanford: Stanford University
- 1979 The Japanese company. New Haven: Yale University Press.
Cole, Robert E.
- 1971 Japanese blue collar: the changing tradition. Berkeley:
University of California Press.
- 1985 Body of power, spirit of resistance: the culture and history
of South African people. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Cusumano, Michael A.
- 1985 The Japanese automobile industry: technology and management
at Nissan and Toyota. Harvard East Asian monographs 122. Cambridge:
The Council on East Asian Studies, Harvard University.
Dalby, Liza Crihfield
- 1985 Geisha. New York: Random House.
Daly, Herman E.
- 1980 "Introduction to the steady-state economy." In
Economics, ecology, ethics: essays toward a steady-state economy,
pp. 1-31. San Francisco: W.H. Freeman.
Davis, Shelton H.
- 1977 Victims of the miracle: development and the Indians of
Brazil. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
De Vos, George Alfonse
- 1984 "The failure of class consciousness." In
The incredibility of western prophets: the Japanese religion
of family. Amsterdam: Universiteit van Amsterdam.
De Vos, George Alfonse; Wagatsuma, Hiroshi et al
- 1973 Socialization for achievement: essays on the cultural
psychology of the Japanese. Berkeley: University of California
De Vos, George Alfonse; Wagatsuma, Hiroshi
- 1967 Japan's invisible race: caste in culture and personality.
Berkeley: University of California Press.
Domhoff, G. William
- 1983 Who rules America now? A view for the '80s. New York:
Simon and Schuster.
Dore, Ronald P.
- 1965 Education in Tokugawa Japan. Berkeley: University
of California Press.
- 1978 Shinohata: a portrait of a Japanese village. Pantheon
village series. New York: Pantheon.
- 1987 Taking Japan seriously: a confucian perspective on leading
economic issues. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
Embree, John F.
- 1964 Suyemura: a Japanese village. Chicago: University
of Chicago Press.
- 1988 The misunderstood miracle: industrial development and
political change in Japan. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
Fruin, W. Mark
- 1983 Kikkoman : company, clan, and community. Harvard studies
in business history, no. 35. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- 1987 Cooperation and competition: supplier networks in the
Japanese electronic industry. Unpublished manuscripted presented
at colloqium, Center for Japanese Studies, University of California
at Berkeley, November 4.
- 1972 Japanese rural society. translated by Ronald P. Dore.
Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- 1966 Autobiography. translated by Eiichi Kiyoka. New York:
Columbia University Press.
- 1980 Power and powerlessness: quiescence and rebellion in an
Appalachian valley. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
Gerlach, Michael Lloyd
- 1987 "Business alliances and the strategy of the Japanese
firm." California Management Review, Fall, pp. 126-142.
- 1991 Twighlight of keiretsu? A critical assessment. Unpublished
Gerlach, Michael Lloyd; Lincoln, James R.
- 1990 The organization of business networks in the U.S. and
Japan. Paper prepared for the Networks and Organizations Conference,
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, August.
Ginsberg, Norton Sidney (ed)
- 1958 The pattern of Asia. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
Hall, John Whitney; Beardsley, Richard King
- 1965 Twelve doors to Japan. New York: McGraw Hill.
- 1982 Peasants, rebels and outcastes: the underside of modern
Japan. New York: Pantheon.
Honda, Tetsuya; Mori Jun'ichi
- 1988 Sakaki no kigyoshatachi [The industrialists of Sakaki].
Osaka: Osaka toshi keizai chosa kaikan.
Johnson, Chalmers A.
- 1982 MITI and the Japanese miracle: the growth of industrial
policy, 1925-1975. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
Kitagawa, Joseph Mitsuo
- 1987 On understanding Japanese religion. Princeton: Princeton
- 1987 The role of small companies in developing new business
fields. Unpublished manuscript, October.
- 1988a Chusho kigyo [Small and medium-size enterprises].
Keizai gakunyumon series. Tokyo: Nihon keizai shinbunsha.
- 1988b "Small business adapting to structural changes in Japanese
economy." The Hosei Journal of Business, 25(3):31-7.
- 1989 "Competition strategy of Japan's small- and medium sized
firms vis-a-vis the global market." The Hosei Journal
of Business, 26(3):13-36.
- 1990 Flexible specialization and small business in Japan.
Unpublished manuscript, August.
Kondo, Dorinne K.
- 1990 Crafting selves: power, gender, and discourses of identity
in a Japanese workplace. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Kroeber, Alfred L.; Parsons, Talcott
- 1958 "The concepts of culture and of social structure."
American Sociological Review 23(5):582-3.
- 1959 Freedom and culture. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice
Lincoln, James R.
- 1990 "Japanese organization and organization theory."
Research in Organization Behavior, 12:255-294.
McDonald, Mary Grace
- 1990 Displacing rice: factories in the fields of farm power
in Tohoku Japan. Doctoral dissertation, Department of Geography.
Berkeley: University of California at Berkeley.
- 1976 "Symposium: Japanese origins; introduction." Journal
of Japanese Studies 2(2):295-303
Mouer, Ross E.; Sugimoto, Yoshio
- 1986 Images of Japanese society: a study in the social construction
of reality. New York: KPI.
- 1972 "Authoritarian and democratic technics." In
Kranzberg, M.; Davenport, W.H. (ed), Technology and culture:
an anthology, pp. 50-59. New York: Schocken Books.
- 1974 A book of five rings. translated by Victor Harris.
Woodstock, NY: Overlook Press.
- 1981 "Barriers to thinking new about energy." Physics
Today, February, pp. 9, 99-104.
- 1987 Controlling processes. The Sir Douglas Robb lectures,
delivered at the University of Auckland, New Zealand, September-October.
- 1990 Harmony ideology: justice and control in a Zapotec mountain
village. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- 1970 Japanese society. Berkeley: University of California
Nash, June C.
- 1979 We eat the mines and the mines eat us: dependency and
exploitation in Bolivian tin mines. New York: Columbia University
- 1989 From tank town to high tech: the clash of community and
industrial cycles. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- 1969 Bushido: the soul of Japan. Rutland, VT: Charles E.
- 1991 Chiho sangyo no shinko to chiiki keisei [The promotion
of rural industry and formation of regionalism]. Tokyo: Hosei
Ouchi, William G.
- 1981 Theory Z: how American business can meet the Japanese
challenge. New York: Avon Books.
Pascale and Athos
- 1981 The art of Japanese management: applications for American
executives. New York: Warner Books.
- 1982 Society and education in Japan. Tokyo: Kodansha International.
Patrick, Hugh T.; Rohlen, Thomas P.
- 1987 "Small-scale family enterprises." In Yamamura,
Kozo; Yasuba, Yasukichi (ed), The political economy of Japan,
volume 1, the domestic transformation, pp. 331-84. Stanford:
Stanford University Press.
Plath, David W. (ed)
- 1983 Work and lifecourse in Japan. Albany: State University
of New York Press.
Reich, Robert B.
- 1991 The work of nations: preparing ourselves for 21st-century
capitalism. New York: Vintage.
- 1992 "Is Japan really out to get us?" The New York
Times Book Review, February 9, pp. 1,24
- 1991 Native and newcomer: making and remaking a Japanese city.
Berkeley: University of California Press.
Rohlen, Thomas P.
- 1974 For harmony and strength: Japanese white-collar organization
in anthropological perspective. Berkeley: University of California
- 1983 Japan's high schools. Berkeley: University of California
- 1980 Ilongot headhunting, 1883-1974: a study of society and
history. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
Sakaki, Town of
- 1990 Sakaki: Sakaki-machi no seiyoran [Overview of the
town of Sakaki]. Sakaki: Sakaki-machi.
Sakaki, Town of; Sakaki Chamber of Commerce
- 1986 Kigyo gaidobukko: Sakaki-machi; enterprise guide book.
Sakaki: Sakaki-machi and Sakaki Shokokai
- 1988 Tekunohato Sakaki: Sakaki-machi kogyo hatten [Techno-heart
Sakaki: industrial development in the town of Sakaki]. Sakaki:
Sakaki-machi and Sakaki Shokokai.
Sakaki History Committee
- 1981 Sakaki choshi [History of Sakaki], 3 vol. Sakaki:
Sansom, George B.
- 1958 A history of Japan to 1334. Stanford: Stanford University
Sato, Nancy Ellen
- 1991 Ethnography of Japanese elementary schools: quest for
equality. Doctoral dissertation. Stanford: Stanford University.
- 1983 "The subcontracting production (shitauke) system in
Japan." Keio Business Review 21(1):1-25.
- 1985 Benchabujinesu; kiseki wa koshite okose [Venture business;
how to create a miracle]. Tokyo: PHP kenkyujo
Shields, James J. (ed)
- 1989 Japanese schooling: patterns of socialization, equality,
and political control. University Park: The Pennsylvania State
Shrader-Frechette, Kristin Sharon
- 1991 Risk and rationality: philosophical foundations for populist
reforms. Berkeley: University of California Press.
Simmons, William B.
- 1980 "Powerlessness, exploitation and the soul-eating witch:
an analysis of Badyaranke witchcraft." American Ethnologist
Smith, Thomas Carlyle
- 1959 The agrarian origins of modern Japan. Stanford: Stanford
- 1960 "Landlord's sons in the business elite." Economic
Development and Cultural Change 9(1-2):93-107.
- 1986 The technopolis strategy: Japan, high technology, and
the control of the 21st century. New York: Prentice-Hall.
- 1987 "Sakaki-machi ni 'yoraba taiju no kage' to iu kotoba
wa nai" [In Sakaki, there are no such words as 'select a
big tree for your shelter']. Purejidento, March, pp. 84-93.
- 1991 Kigyokateki fudo to sono keishi katei [The climate
of entrepreneurialism and the process of its formation]. Masters
thesis. Tokyo: Hosei University.
Vidich, Arthur J.; Bensman, Joseph
- 1958 Small town in mass society: class, power and religion
in a rural community. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
Vogel, Ezra F.
- 1979 Japan as number 1: lessons for America. New York:
Harper and Row.
- 1973 Japan's new middle class: the salary man and his family
in a Tokyo suburb. Berkeley: University of California Press.
Wagatsuma, Hiroshi; De Vos, George Alfonse
- 1984 Heritage of endurance: family patterns and delinquency
formation in modern Japan. Berkeley: University of California
Wallace, Anthony F.C.
- 1980 Rockdale: the growth of an American village in the early
industrial revolution. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- 1986 The whale and the reactor: a search for limits in an age
of high technology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Wolferen, Karel van
- 1989 The enigma of Japanese power: people and politics in a
stateless nation. 1st ed. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- 1983 Japan's wasted workers. Totowa, NJ: Allanheld, Osmun.
- 1986 The Japan syndrome: symptoms, ailments, and remedies.
New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Books.
Copyright (C) 1992, 1997 by Christopher Romig Keener.
BACK <- EPILOGUE